The Cluster Capacity Report indicates which clusters have the capacity to accept additional VMs based on CPU, memory, and storage resources. Use the Cluster Capacity Report to:
- view the remaining capacity available for deploying additional VM workloads to clusters in a specific location.
- view which resources (CPU, memory or storage) are constraining the addition of VM workloads in a cluster.
- help you determine when you will need more CPU, memory or storage based on trends.
- help you determine when a cluster is becoming constrained, based on a threshold that you set.
The Capacity Summary chart shows the current capacity and the projected capacity for all clusters in the location you select. If the chart is trending downward, your environment is running out of space to deploy additional VM workloads. If the chart is trending upward, your environment has the capacity to handle additional VM workloads.
For each individual cluster in the location you select, the Cluster Capacity Report displays the following charts:
- VM Capacity Remaining: displays the remaining capacity for VM workloads
- CPU Capacity: displays capacity based on CPU constraints, assuming that memory and storage are unlimited
- Memory Capacity: displays capacity based on memory constraints, assuming that CPU and storage are unlimited
- Storage Capacity: displays capacity based on storage constraints, assuming that CPU and memory are unlimited
Each chart (except VM Capacity Remaining) displays the maximum available capacity for each resource, the actual usage for each resource, and the threshold (if configured).
Commander takes VMware's HA Reserve and the Additional Reserve settings into account when performing a capacity check. See Capacity reserved for high availability failover and Set the default reserved capacity for performance and growth for more information.
For more information on capacity calculations, see Manage Host and Cluster Capacity.
Reports > Capacity & Performance > Cluster Capacity
All Access Rights Levels
You can specify the following parameters for the Cluster Capacity Report:
- Calculate Using: defines the method used to calculate cluster capacity (Average weekly CPU & Memory values; Peak weekly CPU & Memory values).
- Location: defines the location of the clusters to include in the report.
- Period: defines the reporting period.
- Threshold: defines when a cluster becomes constrained, as a percentage.
- Trend: defines whether projected trends are displayed in the report or not.
For information about running reports, see Generate and Schedule Reports.