Reports > Chargeback & IT Costing > Offline VM Aging - Costs
All Access Rights Levels
The Offline VM Aging Costs Report shows you how much money could have been saved in a past period if the offline VMs that existed in inventory for a consistent period of time had been deleted from inventory.
Use the Offline VM Aging Costs Report to:
- Determine how much powered-off VMs cost.
- Identify VMs for reclamation.
The summary section of this report displays information about VMs that have been offline:
- In incremental periods of one month, one to two months, three to six months, and longer than six months.
- For costs based on disk space (storage costs for a VM are calculated by Commander based on whether or not the VM is thin-provisioned or thick-provisioned).
- For costs based on software and support (if the operating system isn't available, that information isn't included in the software costs).
Keep in mind the following points when you review an Offline VM Aging Costs Report:
- If a VM had its name changed after it was added to Commander, the new name doesn't appear in the list of VMs in VM Details. You must look for the original name.
- If the name of an out-of-inventory VM contains a special character, the name of the VM that appears in this report is represented by folder/name, where the folder is the name of the folder on the datastore. (For information about special characters, see Why a datastore scan can fail.)
- The totals of in-inventory and out-of-inventory VMs, size, cost of storage and support are based on values entered in the current cost model.
- If you have retrieved historical events, the time periods may not be accurate for out-of-inventory VMs.
This report doesn't support any markup or discount cost adjustments you've made to the cost model and isn't available for Service Portal users.
The costs displayed in the report will be converted to the currency you select. Currency conversion will use the latest conversion rate.
If you click the VM Details button, you can view information on a per-VM basis. The VM Details section of the report displays the VMs that are offline, whether or not the VM is in or out of inventory, and ownership. It also displays the resources that in-inventory VMs would consume if they were online. These values don't affect the aging costs in the report. If the VMs are out of inventory, these values are always 0.